Associate Professor of Occupational and Environmental Health
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health
Mechanism of fluoride toxicity and fluoride antagonist research.
Molecular mechanism of heavy metal toxicity and intervention exploring (lead and cadmium).
Selected Professional Affiliations
2016- Committee member of the Environmental Health Branch (The Sixth Session) of Hubei Preventive Medicine Association.
2010- Committee member and secretary of Environmental Health Branch (The Fifth Session) of Hubei Preventive Medicine Association.
2006- Committee member and secretary of the Environmental Health Branch in Wuhan (The Fourth Session) of Chinese Preventive Medicine Association.
Environmental Health / Preventive Medicine
Awards and Honors
2013 Outstanding Bachelor Thesis Guidance Award of Hubei Province
2006 Second Prize for Guidance of Outstanding Graduation Design of Undergraduate, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
2004 Excellence Award for Young Teachers Teaching Competition of School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
1998-2001 Ph.D., Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
1995-1998 Master, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
2001-present Lecturer and Associate Professor, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
2006-2008 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Center, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, USA
1990-1995 Health and Epidemic Prevention Station of Jianghan District, Wuhan, China
Past and ongoing projects, funding, programs
Study on the protection role of HO-1 against neuron apoptosis induced by lead and the molecular mechanism involved, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2013-2016, CNY 700,000, PI.
Study on the Role of Nrf2 Signaling Pathway in Lead Neurotoxicity, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2011-2013, CNY 340,000, PI.
Nrf2 signal pathway antagonistic lead neurotoxicity mechanism of action, the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry, 2011-2012, CNY 35,000, PI.
NF-κB signal pathway in the molecular mechanism of lead neurotoxicity study, the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Youth), 2003-2005, CNY 200,000, PI.
1. Chen J,Chen Xuemin. Alzheimer’s Disease; Parkinson disease in Environmental Health (For graduate and seven-year students), People's Medical Publishing House, Beijing July 2004.
2. Chen J. Alzheimer’s Disease; Parkinson disease in Modern Environmental Hygiene (2nd edition), People's Medical Publishing House, Beijing, July 2008.
3. Chen J. Lead poisoning in nervous system in Modern Environmental Hygiene (3rd edition), People's Medical Publishing House, Beijing, Jan 2019.
1. Ye F, Li X, Liu Y, Chang W, Liu W, Yuan J, Chen J*. Hemin provides protection against lead neurotoxicity through heme oxygenase 1/carbon monoxide activation. J Appl Toxicol. 2018, 38(10):1353-1364.
2. Zhang W, Zhang Y, Hou J, Xu T, Yin W, Xiong W, Lu W, Zheng H, Chen J*, Yuan J*. Tris (2-chloroethyl) phosphate induces senescence-like phenotype of hepatocytes via the p21Waf1/Cip1-Rb pathway in a p53-independent manner. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017, 56:68-75.
3. Ye F, Li X, Li F, Li J, Chang W, Yuan J, Chen J*. Cyclosporin A protects against Lead neurotoxicity through inhibiting mitochondrial permeability transition pore opening in nerve cells. Neurotoxicology. 2016, 57:203-213.
4. Ye F, Li X, Li L, Lyu L, Yuan J , Chen J*. The role of Nrf2 in protection against Pb-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in SH-SY5Y cells. Food Chem Toxicol. 2015, 86:191-201.
5. Ye F, Li X, Li L, Yuan J, Chen J*.t-BHQ Provides Protection against Lead Neurotoxicity via Nrf2/HO-1 Pathway. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2016, 2016:2075915.
6. Li X, Ye F, Li L, Chang W, Wu X*, Chen J*. The role of HO-1 in protection against lead-induced neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicology. 2016, 52:1-11.
7. Chen J, Shaikh ZA*. Activation of Nrf2 by cadmium and its role in protection against cadmium-induced apoptosis in rat kidney cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2009, 241(1):81-89.