1. The School of Public Health (the "School") combines professional education and general arts education to set the foundation of a strong sense of responsibility and mission;
2. The School combines basic theories and advanced science to make students maintain their strong potential of development;
3. The School combines scientific research and teaching to improve the critical thinking and innovative ideas for the students;
4. The School combines regular education format with international experiences and communication practice to provide students with a broad view of public health problems;
5. The School combines lab practice with field epidemiological training to improve students' professional competence.
Every year, the School organizes over 100 students or so to join in the summer social practice. Everybody travels throughout the country to launch the publicity, education, investigation and research on health, enriches his/her knowledge and improves his/her capability.
Based on the innovation project for university students with long-term and whole coverage, the School makes full use of high-quality scientific research resources and teaching conditions to initially foster the basic quality of scientific research for students and motivate their innovative thoughts. The School also sets up the 56-credit-hour comprehensive experiment course for preventive medicine to further foster the students' competence in the comprehensive analysis and practice.
I. Educational Objectives
The undergraduate program aims at cultivating skilled professionals for public health sectors with solid expertise and ethical training. The specific qualifications are:
1. The students should commit to serve the nation and the community in public health sectors, respect relevant laws and rules and work with sound professional ethics.
2. Basic theories and systematic expertise knowledge in the science of public health and related subjects. Methods and skills of modern public health management and application of the theories and methods in solving practical problems in local public health sectors.
3. Basic scientific research competence and innovative competence.
4. Proficiency in one foreign language, with competence in reading research literature and basic listening, speaking and writing.
II. Duration and Cultivation Mode
The duration is 5 academic years. The program consists of three components: basic theories, social practice and project research. The graduates are required to get no less than 240.5 credits.
Program Length and Degree
Duration: Basic system: 5 years, plus flexible system.
Degrees Conferred: Bachelor of Medicine
Basic Medicine Clinical Medicine Preventive Medicine
Credits Hours and Units:
Minimum curriculum credits (including courses and practicum): 240.5 credits. Major-related basic courses and core courses cannot be covered using credits from other courses in the program.
Minimum Extracurricular Credits: 8 credits
III. Requirements for Practical Ability Training
The students are requested to undertake internship in public health sectors for a period of time ranging from six to eight months according to their specialties or career focus.
1. They may intern in such departments as disease control, sexual transmitted or AIDS prevention and control, schistosomiasis prevention and control, occupational disease prevention and treatment, environmental hygiene, in such public health sectors or bureaus as disease control centers, public hygiene monitory centers or entry-exit inspection and quarantine centers. They are requested to rotate in at least two departments, and with stay in one department for a period of over five months.
2. They may choose to intern in a prevention and health care office, infection office, or information office of a community hospital. They should work in at least two offices.
3. They may choose to intern in disease control centers, agricultural hygiene department, women and society department, emergency office in public health administration departments and public health related bureaus or authorities. Or they may intern in women and society department, disease control, emergency office, health law department, schistosomiasis control, local disease office, rural cooperative medical office in Heath Departments and other departments under the Ministry of Health. They are required to stay in at least two offices.
Through the social practice and field work, the students are expected to understand public health and preventive medicine systematically, to learn the basic content and the basic situation of public health in China, to command the basic procedures of field work and advanced scientific research skills and methods on this subject, and finally to be able to apply basic theories, skills and methods to solve practical problems in public health. They are requested to accomplish a report of approximately 3000 words based on their practical and research experience.
IV. Project Research and Dissertation
Graduation thesis should take into consideration the context of public health practice in our society and the research directions of their supervisors. Students are encouraged to address the actual needs or practical problems they find in health administration or public health. The findings or results should be expected to solve some practical problems of public health, and has certain application value.